Tuesday, July 23, 2013

Love and Logic

I am moving to a new school this year. One that has a religious focus and kids from all over the world, a school that is exactly what I love.

My previous school was great and allowed me to do fantastic things, but one thing it did not have was any kind of behavior management system or behavioral program in place.  The expectations I had in my classroom were not the same as the administration's or even some of the other teachers.  I struggled with creating an accountability system that worked because there was no consistency.

This year, I have decided to return to love and logic.  I don't know what it is about being in a religious school that makes me feel more inclined to love my kids. I really really liked my learners at my last school, I wept saying goodbye to some of them, but did I love them?

When I was teaching in the US I worked in an inner city religious school where we had behavioral problems left and right. Our administrator chose to focus on love and logic, rather than on rigid lists of good and bad.  I will always admire his choice as it changed the dynamics in lot of classrooms.
This is not a revolutionary idea, it does not require props or gimmicks, it is simply refocusing the idea of behavior in the classroom on logical consequences and leading your learners with love.

If you have not yet read this book, please do and then let me know what you think.


~Ms. Michelle Louise

No comments:

Post a Comment